Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Side Hustles

I have been thinking about side hustles lately. I can just imagine as things change in our world, that the side hustle is going to be a help for many simply to survive. Making masks this spring was a side hustle for many people, however, I expect this will slow down over time. 

Reselling our household goods and clothing has been my primary side hustle since late 2001! Prior to that I did a few garage sales and the big seasonal consignment sales of children's clothing. I have no idea how much I sold. I tracked some of it at different times, but since I was reselling items for less than purchased I never tracked for tax purposes. I'm sure it has to be a few thousand dollars, as one year I made a goal to sell enough on eBay to cover our Christmas gifts which which we generally budget $600. I also had a goal for a few years to sell make an average of $100 on eBay sales. I never made it to the goal, but I did get close to $1000 one year. 

I sell on eBay much more sporadically and make an occasional FB Marketplace sale a few times a year. My guess is less than $150 per year at this point. I admit my efforts have lagged. The items we have to resell are also less, as the girls have grown. I would sell gently used clothes they outgrew, as well as toys, which are in high demand for young families. 

I plan to create a few more side hustles in the next few years as we transition out of the military. All sorts of things come to mind honestly, and it will probably take some trial and error to figure out which ones add value to our family and are worth the effort. As I write that I realize that is a bit of a luxury...to get to decide what side hustles to do, but at the same time, if it isn't lucrative and one needs the cash, that side hustle gets dropped in search of something else. 

I do admire people who have a knack for finding a side hustle that is lucrative. I see many on YouTube that seems to have built something that their family can live off of, yet, I know they work hard making it all come together too. 

Do you or someone you know have a side hustle for extra income? What is that side hustle? How much income does it bring in? How did you figure out it was right for you? 

2 comments:

  1. No, i need to get a side hustle and the motivation to attack debt again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a younger mom with children at home, I would probably try to babysit. As it is now, I'm not just not up for it!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you for keeping your comments relevant, friendly and clean.