Thursday, June 26, 2014

Frugal Housewarming Gift

I have a friend that lives in my hometown that is about to move to another state 12 hours away. She is leaving her entire extended family to move with her husband and two of her three children. I know it is emotional for her.

I will be visiting her next week and wanted to have something to bring to her to help with the moving adjustment. I did some looking on Pinterest and found lots of great ideas. Some of them included dinner in a basket, or wine glasses, or new kitchen towels. All of those are nice ideas, but they were not right for this friend in this situation. And some of those can get pricey!!

I opted for a sentimental gift that cost me nothing out of pocket because I had everything on hand to make this frugal gift. I needed a frame, a blue piece of paper, a pencil, a heart shaped cookie cutter and a glue stick. Any ideas what I making?



I made this Pinterest inspired art of her hometown map cut in the shape of a heart and mounted in a table top frame. The truth is it may not match her decor, but I think the idea behind it will be felt. She could also make her own, or re-frame this one to fit if she chooses. Again this cost me no money at all because I had a frame and map I was willing to give up to make this gift a reality.

I think if one really wanted to bring a gift to a housewarming party that anything homemade, such as cookies, a salad, or even a full meal would be appreciated. It is stressful and tiring to move! The situation with my friend doesn't warrant seeing her in her new home for awhile, so this is the best I can do since I will be seeing her after her home has been packed but before she leaves for the new state.

Have you received a housewarming gift that you especially liked? Do you have a gift you always give to those moving into a new home? Have you actually been inspired to do something from things you have seen on Pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you for keeping your comments relevant, friendly and clean.