Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Financial Tip: Check Credit Report

Since we are currently debt free, except our mortgage, we don't have much need for credit. However, I still think it is important to check it with some frequency simply because of identity theft. And it is also far better to find out about any errors before you need credit. Before the need arises you have the time to take care of any disputes or items in need of correction.

I spent about 10 minutes last night checking our credit reports online at annualcreditreport.com. That is the free site where you can get a copy of your credit report from each of the three reporting agencies. You can get one free from each of them every 12 months. I actually check just one of them every four months, so that I'm checking with some frequency, but still just getting one from each agency per year.

It had been awhile since I checked. To get back on track, I decided to put reminders on email calendar for April, August and December. I also indicated in the reminder which agency to check with.

All was good with this check at Experian, with a small exception. I noticed that my husband's report showed a previous employer that he never worked for. He did apply there years ago. I asked that it be deleted and as of this morning that report no longer shows that employer. Easy!!

Do you check your credit report on a regular basis? Do you have a system to remember to do this simple task?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you for keeping your comments relevant, friendly and clean.