Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Start NOW!!

March is Retirement Savings Month!

Yes, I officially have decided to celebrate saving for retirement. I'm going to shout it's benefits loud and wide. I'm thrilled my husband and I have begun saving so well for retirement. And I'm really not bragging. I'm just that happy.  I wish, pray, and hope that everyone could feel the power and freedom that come with a retirement account that keeps growing.

I would really like to get my hands on every high school senior with a job and sign them up for their first Roth IRA account. I would like to pull the worker at Subway aside and make sure they know they have the option to save for retirement regardless of their income. I dream of pulling up alongside that man mowing the school lawn and explaining that his small business can have a retirement plan.

Sure here in the United States we have Social Security. What a blessing to many. I'm of the belief that we do not need to rely on our government in our old age. It helps that I was told in high school Social Security would likely not exist for me. I still believe that is a possibility. It helps, too, that our retirement account has been flourishing in recent days. I do know that we will be much better off because we have saved for retirement and will not need to rely on Social Security.

Many calculators, financial advisers, and counselors will tell you that starting early is so very important in saving for retirement. They are right. The earlier you start the more you will have given all other factors to be equal. But that doesn't mean you ever miss the boat in starting to save for the glory days of retirement. Any dollar you save today for retirement is one less you have to rely on the government for. Last I heard, they are having a little trouble keeping all their dollars in line. What makes you think they are setting aside even one dollar for you?

If you are already saving for retirement, I'm thrilled and so happy for you. Really, really, happy for you. I'd shake your hand, pat you on the back, or maybe even give you a hug! I'm that excited for you. You made a great choice and you won't regret it.

If you haven't saved one dollar for retirement, then I have a few questions for you. What is holding you back? Do you know the steps you need to take? What are your excuses? Why can't you start now?

I want you to start now! By the end of March, I hope I can convince you to get started saving for your retirement. I hope to explain account types, a little about stocks and mutual funds and a few other things that I think might just help get you started on your path to a blissful and well funded retirement. Are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you for keeping your comments relevant, friendly and clean.